Nectarine Heirloom Tomato Salad
There's nothing quite like the scent of fresh, ripe produce at the farmer's market. This Nectarine Heirloom Tomato Salad is the epitome of Summer. Sweet, juicy nectarines, brightly colored heirloom tomatoes, fragrant basil and mint...what's more Summery than that? Not to mention, each ingredient in this tasty concoction has wonderful benefits for your health!
Heirloom Tomatoes - Rich in Lycopene and Vitamins C and A. Helps fight cardiovascular disease.
Nectarines - Full of beta-carotene which is a big supplier of Vitamin A, lutien and Vitamin C, wonderful anti-oxidants to help your body fight free-radicals.
Cucumber - Contains potassium which keeps your blood pressure low and your muscles healthy.
Basil - Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, good source of magnesium. The flavanoids in basil actually help protect you at the cellular level, amazing!
Mint - Contains antioxidants that help fight cancer and even allergies. Mint is also wonderful for digestion, it helps diffuse gas, relax the digestive system and helps to digest food quickly.
- 3 large, ripe nectarines
- 2 large, ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 1 lemon cucumber - skinned
- 6-8 basil leaves (we used purple basil, but any basil will do)
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
OPTIONAL: 1 Serrano chile - thinly sliced. Remove seeds for less heat. This balances the sweetness of this salad with a lovely mild heat.
- Cut up tomatoes, cucumber and nectarines into 1 in cubes and throw into a large mixing bowl
- Slice basil and mint into ribbons
- Gently combine nectarines, cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs and chile (if you opted in for an extra kick!)
- Sprinkle balsamic vinegar over salad and gently toss